Coronavirus Southern California update: Number of COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles County rises to 94 – KABC-TV

Health officials reported 25 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in Los Angeles County on Monday, bringing the number of cases in the county to 94.

Here are the current number of novel coronavirus cases across the Southland:

  • Los Angeles County: 94 confirmed cases
  • Orange County: 17 cases (confirmed and presumptive)
  • Riverside County: 14 confirmed cases
  • San Bernardino County: 1 cases
  • San Diego County: 8 presumptive case
  • Ventura County: 5 cases (1 confirmed, 3 presumptive)
  • L.A. County officials provide update on response to novel coronavirus

    March, 16, 2020

    12:30 p.m.

    As health officials on Monday confirmed 25 new cases in L.A. County, public health director Barbara Ferrer estimated that it would take at least three weeks of social distancing for a decline in novel coronavirus cases to occur across the region.

    County public health director Barbara Ferrer said two of newly confirmed cases are hospitalized, adding that there may be people infected everywhere in the county. Five of the county’s cases are assumed to be a result of community transmission.

    “If something is not an essential activity, I urge you not to do it,” Ferrer said, adding that the county saw 41 confirmed cases within the last 48 hours.

    L.A. County officials on Monday also announced that all bars and gyms would be closed. Restaurants will only be offering take-out.

    The number of cases in Riverside County rose to 14 on Saturday after two new patients were positively diagnosed.

    March 15, 2020

    5:30 p.m.

    The Los Angeles Police Department identified the first case involving one of its employees. A uniformed supervisor in the Pacific Division tested positive after exhibiting flu-like symptoms around March 5. His condition was described as improving and he was expected to make a full recovery. The department is cleaning and disinfecting the employee’s work area. No other personnel in the Pacific Division have exhibited symptoms.

    1 p.m.

    Los Angeles County officials say the total number of cases has increased to 69. Among those cases, 10 are likely due to community transmission. Five of the cases confirmed on Sunday were hospitalized, health officials said.

    Regarding the new cases, the County of Los Angeles Public Health Department said:

  • One case has an unidentified source of exposure.
  • Three cases were exposed during recent travel.
  • Two cases were healthcare workers exposed in a healthcare setting.
  • Four cases had close contact with a confirmed case.
  • Five of these cases are pending more investigation.
  • One is the case reported by the Long Beach Health Department late Saturday.
  • [Ads /]
    “As more testing occurs we will continue to see significantly more cases,” said Dr. Barbara Ferrer, the county’s health director. “Our healthcare providers are prepared to see more cases, but we must all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 in order to minimize strain on our healthcare system and other service providers.”

    San Bernardino County health officials confirmed their first case of coronavirus on Sunday.

    The San Bernardino County Department of Public Health said the case appeared in a Kaiser patient in Fontana who returned from London last week. A test was administered by Quest Diagnostics on March 12 and the results were reported to health officials on Sunday.

    7:55 a.m.

    Health officials said a child believed to have been infected with COVID-19 has tested negative and does not have the virus. The child was being treated at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. The child, who is a Ventura County resident, was a presumptive case announced on Friday.

    March 14, 2020

    5:50 p.m.

    All 86 public libraries across Los Angeles County will be closed starting Sunday, March 15 through the end of the month to help prevent the spread of the virus. Due dates for borrowed books and other items will be automatically extended and no late fees will be assessed. Digital services ranging from e-books to digital subscriptions to newspapers and magazines will remain available online.

    4 p.m.

    The first case of novel coronavirus through community spread in Long Beach was announced Saturday. Health officials were not able to determine a source of exposure for the individual, a woman in her 60s, who was hospitalized in stable condition. Officials were investigating to determine where the woman might’ve been exposed to the illness. The total number of confirmed cases in Long Beach stands at 5.

    2:11 p.m.
    Restaurants in Chinatown suffering due to coronavirus
    Restaurants and local businesses in the Chinatown district of Los Angeles are suffering as a result of coronavirus.

    March 13, 2020

    3:40 p.m.
    Children’s Hospital Los Angeles has confirmed that it is treating a patient with COVID-19. The patient, a child between the ages of 6 and 9, is in fair condition and has no history of travel. The patient is also receiving care for an unrelated underlying condition that most likely made the child vulnerable to the virus, according to a hospital statement.

    2:30 p.m.
    Orange County health officials announced three new cases, bringing the number of active coronavirus cases to nine. Authorities said six cases have been tested by the county and confirmed by CDC, and three cases tested positive by the county but the CDC confirmation is still pending.

    9:30 a.m.
    The Los Angeles Unified School District announced it will close its doors for two weeks starting Monday. The LAUSD, which is the second largest school district in the nation, joins many schools in the region who are taking similar steps to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

    During the closure, the school will have 40 resource centers open to provide supervision as well as meals for students who do not have access to proper nutrition at home. Instruction will happen online, and the LAUSD will work with PBS to provide classes on TV.

    8:30 a.m.
    The Archdiocese of Los Angeles announced new liturgical accommodations, including a dispensation from the obligation of attending Sunday Mass for the next three weeks, to limit the spread of coronavirus. Archbishop José H. Gomez said attendance at any Mass in the archdiocese should be limited to 250 people, in line with Gov. Gavin Newsom’s recommendation, and that nonessential group meetings and retreats would be suspended.

    March 12, 2020

    4 p.m.
    Long Beach officials ordered the cancellation of all large-scale events through April – including the city’s annual Grand Prix, which had been scheduled for April 17-19. The lengthy list of canceled events includes Disney on Ice and Shen Yun 2020. HERE’s a full list of SoCal event closures and cancellations due to the novel coronavirus.

    1:35 p.m.
    Disneyland, California Adventure to temporarily close due to coronavirus threat
    The Walt Disney Co. announced the temporary closure of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim in response to the expanding threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic.
    [Ads /]
    12 p.m.
    L.A. County Health director Dr. Barbara Ferrer said there is a backlog in testing for coronavirus. She said her department has only done 100 tests in the last week and is facing a serious backlog. She urged people to use commercial labs for testing until the county can purchase more machines. She also disputed statements from president trump that travelers who enter the country are being tested for coronavirus. At LAX, she said, travelers are being screened, but not tested, for the virus. The airport doesn’t have the capacity to do testing on a massive scale and it takes time to get results back.

    12 p.m.
    Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti on Thursday announced a multi-point plan, including banning non-city employees from City Hall, in response to the coronavirus pandemic that has gripped Southern California and the world. The new measures came as health officials said the number of cases in Los Angeles County had risen to at least 32. Garcetti said he had ordered all city department to postpone or cancel all non-essential public events or group activities that require close contact and meetings of 50 people or more.

    11:51 a.m.
    Coronavirus: 8th Riverside County case confirmed in Coachella Valley area
    An eighth novel coronavirus case was confirmed Thursday in Riverside County, and like several others, the patient is from the Coachella Valley, according to health officials.

    March 11, 2020

    4:32 p.m.
    Coronavirus cancellations in Southern California and beyond – NBA, concerts and events
    Here’s a look at major public events in Southern California and beyond from the world of sports, entertainment and business that have been altered because of COVID-19.

    3:40 p.m.
    Store owners see surge in gun sales in Asian communities possibly linked to coronavirus fears
    Gun sales at some Southern California stores are surging in response to fears about the coronavirus.

    Gun sales surge in Asian communities during coronavirus concerns

    1:13 p.m.
    Nurses rally outside USC Keck Hospital over resources to fight pandemic
    Nurses gathered outside USC Keck Hospital on Wednesday morning making it known they weren’t happy.

    5:42 a.m.
    Person-to-person transmission of coronavirus reported in OC
    Health officials told the Orange County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday the numbers of novel coronavirus cases is up to five, the fifth marking the first person-to-person transmission in the county.

    March 10, 2020

    4:16 p.m.
    Coachella, Stagecoach festivals postponed to October over coronavirus concerns
    The Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals are being delayed out of concerns over the coronavirus.

    10:24 a.m.
    [Ads /]
    LAUSD declares state of emergency, plans for possible school closures
    The Los Angeles Unified School District declared a state of emergency on Tuesday over the novel coronavirus and is preparing in case schools have to be closed.

    March 9, 2020

    5:48 p.m.
    ‘Jeopardy,’ ‘Wheel of Fortune’ cancel audiences amid spread of COVID-19
    Concerns over the spread of novel coronavirus have prompted fan favorite shows “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy” to take extra precautions.

    5:25 p.m.
    Medical providers reach out to LA’s immigrant community amid coronavirus concerns
    A coalition of health care providers and non-profits is reaching out to immigrants who may be apprehensive to seek help in preventing the spread of coronavirus.

    5:02 p.m.
    13 CSUN students self-isolating for possible coronavirus exposure
    A group of 13 Cal State Northridge students will self-isolate due to concerns of possible exposure to the novel coronavirus, the university announced.

    12:57 p.m.
    OC restaurant chain takes extreme measures to prevent spread of coronavirus
    Amid the coronavirus outbreak, an Orange County restaurant chain has begun checking customers temperatures as they walk through the door — and a fever might disqualify some.

    Feb. 11, 2020

    Quarantine lifted for nearly 200 evacuees at Riverside military base
    Nearly 200 evacuees ended a two-week quarantine at a Riverside military base where they have been living since flying out of China in the wake of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

    Feb. 5, 2020

    4 p.m.
    3 Korean Air passengers screened for coronavirus after Las Vegas-bound flight diverted to LAX
    A Korean Air flight bound for Las Vegas was diverted to Los Angeles International Airport, where three passengers who had recently been in China were screened for the coronavirus, officials said.

    Jan. 26, 2020

    10:46 a.m.
    Patient diagnosed with first case of coronavirus in Los Angeles County
    Public health officials on Sunday confirmed the first case of novel coronavirus in Los Angeles County, making it the fourth case of the strain in the United States.

    Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

    please let me know if you like my content